The Pug’s small stature makes him a great choice to live in an apartment, condo, or urban setting. Pugs are very active and don’t take up much space. Many Pug owners also mention the ease with which they can be trained to use pee pads. This saves you from taking your dog up and downstairs to get him outside. Continue reading to find out the pros and cons of indoor housetraining, as well as some useful tips.
The Benefits and Cons Of Indoor Housetraining
Indoor housetraining is teaching your Pug how to use a pee pad indoors instead of outside. This is an excellent option for those with limited mobility and people who don’t have access to outdoor space. There are some challenges to indoor housetraining, but here are some:
- This is a convenient option for those who live in apartments or urban living quarters and have limited access to green space outside.
- As long as you’re home to change them, your pee pads will make cleanup easy.
- Indoor housetraining is an option for dogs who have mobility issues or incontinence.
Cons for Indoor Housetraining
- Training your dog to go indoors can increase the chance of accidents in the home.
- Pee pads can sometimes cause problems because the dog may think that any flat, absorbent surface is a place for pee.
- You may have to train your dog to stay indoors. This could limit your socialization options as your dog spends more time indoors.
- It can be hard to get your Pug outdoors if you later change your mind.
Teach Your Pug How to Use Pee Pads
Indoor housetraining is not as simple as putting a pee pad on the ground and expecting your Pug puppy will know how to use it. You have to teach him. First, pick a spot in your home where the pee pad can be placed. Don’t move it if you don’t want to. Keep your dog with you at all times while you’re at home so that you can watch him. If your puppy looks as though he might have an accident, you can pick him up and take him to the bathroom. This should be done at least once an hour. You can praise and reward him for using the pad every time. This is a great way to show him the importance of the pad and encourage him to use it.
It is up to you to decide how to housetrain your Pug. Indoor housetraining is a great option. Make sure you consider all the pros and cons. To make sure your Pug is safe and happy, use the tips above.